When “I’m Fine” Isn’t the Whole Story: Finding the Words to Ask for Support


“I’m fine.”

Two simple words we often say when someone asks, “How are you?”
Sometimes they are true. Sometimes they are simply easier than explaining what is really happening inside us. When we are exhausted, overwhelmed, heartbroken, or struggling, finding the right words can be difficult. So we give the familiar answer and move on.

“I’m fine” can become a shield. Not because we want to deceive others, but because we may not be ready to talk, may not know how to explain what we feel, or may worry about how others will respond.

Why Do We Say “I’m Fine”?

There is no single reason. People may hide distress for different reasons.

  • We Don’t Want to Be a Burden : Some people worry that sharing their problems will burden others. Others may have learned to handle everything on their own. When vulnerability feels like weakness, asking for support can become difficult.
  • We Don’t Have the Energy to Explain : Sometimes, the hardest part is not feeling the emotion—it is explaining it. When we are already drained, describing what happened and what we need can feel overwhelming. “I’m fine” can feel easier than having a conversation we are not ready for.
  • We Feel We Have to Stay Strong : Many of us grow up believing we should be strong, independent, successful, and capable. There is nothing wrong with these qualities. But when we start believing that struggling means failing, we may hide difficult emotions instead of acknowledging them. Over time, this can become a familiar way of coping.

When “I’m Fine” Becomes a Mask

There is a difference between choosing privacy and habitually suppressing emotions. You do not have to tell everyone how you feel. Saying , "I don't want to talk about it right now,” can be a healthy boundary.
The concern is when we repeatedly hide our emotions and feel unable to seek support. Research has found that greater emotional suppression is associated with poorer social well-being, including lower perceived social support and relationship satisfaction.

This does not mean that keeping your feelings private is automatically harmful. What matters is whether hiding your emotions becomes your only way of coping. Sometimes, the cost of always saying “I’m fine” is that people never realise when you need support.

What Can You Say Instead?

You do not have to suddenly tell someone everything. Start with yourself:
What am I feeling?
What do I need right now?

Once you understand what you are feeling, you can choose how much you want to share. You might simply say:
“I’m having a difficult day.”
“I’m not ready to talk about it yet.”
“I don’t know how to explain it, but I’m struggling.”
“I could use someone to listen.”

Being honest about how you feel does not mean losing your boundaries. You can choose when, how, and with whom you open up. Staying connected with supportive people can be an important part of caring for your mental health. If distress becomes severe, persists, or starts interfering with everyday life, seeking professional help is also important.

Sometimes, the first step is not having all the answers. It is simply recognising that “I’m fine” isn’t always what you really mean.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have a Popcorn Brain? Here’s how to fix it!

Digital Love & Real-Life Loneliness: The Changing Face of Modern Relationships

Fatherhood Then and Now: How Parenting Has Changed